I was unaware that this is still the case, but apparently Jodie Meeks could hypothetically return to Kentucky if he were to somehow end up undrafted. Here is an excerpt from an article by Steve Moss at WKYT.com explaining the situation in detail:
DeWayne Peevy, UK's Assistant Athletics Director for Media Relations, says the NCAA allows players to return to school, as long as that player doesn't do anything to jeopardize his/her amateur status.
In the NCAA Manual, you'll find the answer in Rule 22.214.171.124.1, which is the exception rule for basketball players who enter a pro draft.
"An enrolled student-athlete in basketball may enter a professional league's draft one time during his or her collegiate career without jeopardizing eligibility in that sport, provided the student-athlete is not drafted by an team in that league and the student-athlete declares his or her intention to resume intercollegiate participation within 30 days after the draft. The student-athlete's declaration of intent shall be in writing to the institution's director of athletics."
So, in a nutshell, Meeks CAN return to play for the Wildcats, provided he isn't drafted, doesn't sign any contracts, whether with an agent or for any endorsements, for which he will be paid, and writes Mitch Barnhart a letter asking for reinstatement to UK. All of this must happen within a 30-day time frame.
Complete Article on WKYT.com
- ► 2015 (1253)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
06/14 - 06/21
- Louisville Hosting Trio of Talented 2011 Prospects...
- Richie Riley Lands at Coastal Carolina
- Attorneys Request More Time In Gillispie Lawsuit
- Mark Bradley of AJC Ranks Kentucky #1
- 2010 Prospect Mychal Parker to Visit Kentucky
- Morehead State Eagles Release 2009-10 Schedule
- Tubby Smith Sued By Former Assistant Coach
- Western Kentucky Gets Commitment from Stephon Dran...
- Jodie Meeks Projected 55th by NBADraft.net
- The Numbers: Kentucky Wildcats' 3-Point Shooting
- Happy Osborne's Player Development Camp
- Western Kentucky: No Longer a Mid-Major
- Nebraska Looking at Galloway and/or Pilgrim
- Kentucky Christian Announces Three Signings
- Louisville Cardinals: Notes and Links
- Miller and Mack Make USA Under-19 National Team
- Hypothetically Speaking: Meeks Can Return
- Conference USA Happy to See Calipari Leave?
- Meeks and Williams to Workout for Nets on Friday
- Luke Fitzgerald Impresses at Diamond Midwest
- Joe Lunardi's Insanely Early Bracketology
- Terrence Williams Impresses Larry Brown in Charlot...
- Rajon Rondo Trade Rumors Discussed
- The Sun News Picks Cats to Win SEC East
- Kentucky and Louisville in NCAA Preseason Polls
- St. Petersburg Times Q&A with Jeremy Cox
- SNY.tv Ranks the Big East for 2009-10
- Calipari Tweets His Way to 200,000 Followers
- Terrence Williams and Chartrael Hall to Workout fo...
- Katz: Draft Process was a Draw for Kentucky
- DeCourcy: The Real Losers Are the Kentucky Fans
- What Will Kentucky Do With That Open Scholarship?
- John Clay: Meeks' Decision is the Right One
- Asbury Players Complete Mission Trip to Costa Rica...
- Hurricane Jodie: How Will Kentucky Recover?
- Jodie Meeks Will Remain in the NBA Draft
- Kentucky Staff Knows Meeks' Decision
- Billy Gillispie Will Be Keeping Eyes Open in Texas...
- Latest DraftExpress NBA Mock Draft; Meeks 47th
- Still Waiting on Jodie...
- Shelvin Mack Added to USA U19 Roster
- Jacob Jenkins Verbally Commits to Bellarmine
- Calipari: "No word from Jodie..."
- Word Has "Leaked" That Meeks Will Return to UK
- A.J. Stewart to Central Florida?
- University of the Cumberlands Holds Successful Cam...
- ▼ 06/14 - 06/21 (46)