Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Milligan Upsets No. 16 Union College in AAC Battle

Milligan 70
(16) Union 69

Final from Barbourville, Kentucky

Game recap by UC:

BARBOURVILLE, Ky. - Union College forward Deante Johnson (SR/Cincinnati, Ohio) scored a game-high 25 points, but it wasn't enough, as a last second shot rattled out, giving visiting Milligan (Tenn.) a 70-69 victory in Appalachian Athletic Conference men's basketball action on Monday night at Robsion Arena.

With the loss, Union fell to 7-3 overall, 3-1 in the AAC, while Milligan improved to 9-1, 4-0 in the AAC with the victory.

In the first half, Union opened up a big lead to start for the second straight contest, going up 9-0 quickly on the Buffaloes in the first two minutes of regulation. But, unlike when the Bulldogs took the big lead early at Tennessee Wesleyan last Tuesday, the Buffaloes gradually chipped away at the lead.

Things came to a head in the half with five minutes left, where after a DeAntray Stevens (JR/Cincinnati, Ohio) three-pointer, Union went up by six points, 31-25. Here, Milligan went on a run to end the half, taking their first lead of the evening with two minutes left (33-32).

A three at the buzzer by the Buffaloes ended the run, as Milligan went into intermission up 38-35 over Union.

To begin the second half, Union quickly tied the game back up at 40-40. But, Milligan grabbed the lead back quickly, and seemingly kept it for the majority of the period. Throughout the half, the Bulldogs cut the Buffaloes lead to both two points and a single point on numerous occasions, only to see Milligan score to increase the lead.

With four minutes left, and Milligan leading 64-58, Union made one last push. A 9-2 run over the next three minutes of play finally gave the Bulldogs the lead back, capped off by a Stevens jumper with 1:07 left that gave Union their first lead since the opening half at 67-66.

But, Milligan came right back down and took the lead back after nailing a pair of free throws at 68-67. On Union's next possession, Johnson was fouled, and knocked down two free throws of his own to give Union the lead back at 69-68 with 37 seconds left.

Complete Recap

No comments:

Blog Archive