Monday, January 19, 2015

Kentucky State Earns First Ever Road Win at Benedict, But Falls Short at Morehouse

Kentucky State University just wrapped up a bittersweet conference road trip.

The Thorobreds earned their first ever road win at Benedict College on Thursday but fell short at Morehouse on Saturday.

Here are recaps:

Kentucky State 80 Benedict 74

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Tied at 74 with less than two minutes remaining, the Kentucky State University Thorobreds scored six unanswered points to defeat the Benedict College Tigers, 80-74, on Thursday night at the Benjamin E. Mays HRC Arena.

The victory was a historic one for Kentucky State. Since the teams started playing each other during the 2002-03 season, the Thorobreds had never beaten the Tigers in Columbia prior to Thursday.

With the victory Kentucky State moves to 4-8 overall this season and 3-3 in SIAC action. Benedict drops to 6-6 overall and 4-2 in the SIAC.

With 1:34 left on the clock, Benedict tied the game at 74 when Brennan Reynard hit one of two free throws. On the next possession, Kentucky State took the lead for good when Ulysses Thomas III sparked a 6-0 Thorobred run with a jumper after a steal by Markus Montague. After another Benedict turnover, Tryston Ford hit two clutch free throws with 21 seconds left. When Benedict missed a layup on their next possession and KSU took the ball back, Thomas was fouled and calmly stepped to the line to sink a pair of free-throws to seal the game for Kentucky State.

As a team, KSU had their second best game of the season from the charity stripe. The Thorobreds shot 83 percent (19-for-23) from the free-throw line.

Thomas tied a season-high with 20 points against Benedict to go with three rebounds and three assists. Ford added 14 points off the bench, going 3-of-4 from 3-point distance. Forward Darrien Wilkins finished with 12 points and nine rebounds.

Complete Recap

Morehouse 68 Kentucky State 44

ATLANTA – The Morehouse College Maroon Tigers defeated the Kentucky State University Thorobreds, 68-44, in an SIAC men's basketball matchup on Saturday afternoon at Forbes Arena.

Morehouse (8-6, 6-1 SIAC) entered Saturdays game coming off a disappointing loss to Stillman that snapped a 5-game winning streak. Kentucky State (4-9, 3-4 SIAC) kept things close early in the contest but struggled offensively, shooting a season-low 29 percent from the field, as MC built up their lead before eventually pulling away in the second half.

The Thorobreds actually held a five-point lead, 15-10, after Tim Bates connected on a jumper with just over 12 minutes remaining in the opening frame. Unfortunately for KSU, the Maroon Tigers would go on a 21-9 run to head into the locker room with a seven-point lead, 31-24.

In the second half, Kentucky State's offensive woes continued as the Thorobreds connected on just 28 percent of their field goal attempts. On the other side, Morehouse hit their field goals at a 44 percent clip to slowly build their lead to as many as 25 points before the end of the game.

Tyrone Brown led MC offensively, picking up 10 of his game-high 15 points in the second half. Brown hit 3-of-6 shots from the field 9-of-11 from the free-throw line. Austin Anderson added 11 points to go with three steals and a pair of rebounds. Brandon Glover chipped in 10 points and two assists. Robert Askew had six points and eight rebounds and Javarius Gay contributed seven points and five rebounds.

Complete Recap

No comments:

Blog Archive