Bellarmine University has signed JUCO transfer Al Davis for 2015-16.
Davis, a 5-foot-9 point guard, will have two seasons of eligibility at Bellarmine.
Here is a release from BU:
LOUISVILLE, Ky.—Bellarmine University Head Men's Basketball Coach Scott Davenport announced today that he has signed junior college transfer Al Davis for the 2015-16 season. The 5-9, 175-pound point guard will have two full seasons at Bellarmine after earning his associate's degree from North Iowa Area Community College.
Davis garnered first-team all-NJCAA Region XI honors last season after averaging 15.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 5.3 assists per game. During his two seasons at NIACC, he contributed 762 points, 294 assists (fourth on school's career list), 284 rebounds and 138 career steals.
"I am absolutely thrilled to get the opportunity to coach this young man," Davenport said. "I literally can't wait until practice starts this fall. When he visited, he immediately impressed his teammates, and the whole Bellarmine community welcomed him with open arms."
Davis, a native of Colorado Springs, Colo., said that after being contacted by the Knights coaching staff, he immediately started researching Bellarmine. "I found that it was a good school in a good location and the basketball program was very successful," he said. "Then when I came on my visit it just felt like home, and I found out (Bellarmine) is starting a SPAD (Sports Administration) program. I thought, 'this is my calling.'"
In terms of basketball, Davis sees his role as a true point guard. "On the basketball floor, I like to be a leader. I see my primary job as finding the open man, and I take pride in my defense." While at NIACC Davis was a scorer, he said he doesn't feel any pressure to have to score at Bellarmine. "When we played open gym, I found out Bellarmine has a whole lot of good shooters and players, so I just have to get them the ball."
The team aspect was another big draw for Davis. "I haven't won anything on the basketball court," he said. "I've gotten personal accolades, but nothing as a team. Hopefully we can do that at Bellarmine in the next two years."
- ► 2017 (52)
- ► 2016 (919)
05/31 - 06/07
- Motlow State Community College Introduces New Head...
- John Calipari Has Heated On-Air Debate With Dan Pa...
- Former Morehead State Assistant Chris Moore Joins ...
- North Carolina Releases NCAA's Notice of Allegatio...
- Carson Williams Continues to Reel In D1 Offers
- Kentucky Recruit Jamal Murray is Currently Visitin...
- Katz: Steve Prohm Scheduled for Interview at Iowa ...
- Bellarmine Adds Beau Braden, Josh Sewell to Coachi...
- Tulane's Jonathan Stark Will Transfer to Murray St...
- Steve Prohm Mentioned as Candidate at Iowa State
- St. Catharine's Jordan Brangers Will Play for J.T....
- J.T. Burton Lands Head Coaching Job at Motlow Stat...
- Caverna Hires Former St. Catharine College Head Co...
- Bellarmine University Signs JUCO Transfer Al Davis...
- ▼ 05/31 - 06/07 (14)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)