Motlow State Community College introduced new head coach J.T. Burton on Thursday.
Here is a release from the school:
Former St. Catharine College head coach and University of Tennessee assistant coach James Tyler "J.T." Burton has been named the new men's basketball head coach at Motlow College, according to Athletic Director Tori Raby-Gentry. Burton will begin his duties immediately.
Burton spent the past season as the Director of Player Development at Tennessee under former Volunteer head coach Donnie Tyndall. His season in Knoxville followed a highly successful six-year stint as head coach at St. Catharine in his hometown of Springfield, Ky., where he compiled a 95-80 record. During his coaching tenure the school transitioned from a two-year to a four-year institution, playing on the NAIA level and joining the Mid-South Conference.
"We are delighted to have J.T. as our new head coach," said Raby-Gentry. "I'm confident in the experience he brings in coaching, recruiting and helping student athletes to grow and succeed. He is a demanding coach with high expectations for his players both on and off the court. We are excited for the upcoming season."
He takes over a Motlow program that finished 23-6 last season and 37-20 in two seasons under former head coach Matt Sligh, who resigned in March to become an assistant at Missouri State University, ironically located in Springfield, Mo.
Burton boasts more than 15 years of college coaching experience after playing college basketball at St. Catharine from 1995-97, when the Patriots were a two-year school and a member of the Tennessee Junior/Community College Athletic Association, now known as the Tennessee Community College Athletic Association (TCCAA).
Tyndall, who was relieved of his duties at Tennessee in March, coached one season at St. Catharine, and with Burton as a guard led the 1996-97 Patriots to a 30-5 record and the school's first trip to the National Junior College Athletic Association tournament.
Burton received his bachelor's degree from Tennessee Wesleyan College in 1999 and his master's degree from Campbellsville University in 2005. He and his wife, Carla, have two daughters, Alexis and Jada.
Following his graduation from Tennessee Wesleyan, he returned to St. Catharine as an assistant coach for one season, followed by one season as an assistant at Marshalltown (Iowa) Community College.
Motlow College is a public campus in Tullahoma, Tennessee.
- ► 2016 (835)
05/31 - 06/07
- Motlow State Community College Introduces New Head...
- John Calipari Has Heated On-Air Debate With Dan Pa...
- Former Morehead State Assistant Chris Moore Joins ...
- North Carolina Releases NCAA's Notice of Allegatio...
- Carson Williams Continues to Reel In D1 Offers
- Kentucky Recruit Jamal Murray is Currently Visitin...
- Katz: Steve Prohm Scheduled for Interview at Iowa ...
- Bellarmine Adds Beau Braden, Josh Sewell to Coachi...
- Tulane's Jonathan Stark Will Transfer to Murray St...
- Steve Prohm Mentioned as Candidate at Iowa State
- St. Catharine's Jordan Brangers Will Play for J.T....
- J.T. Burton Lands Head Coaching Job at Motlow Stat...
- Caverna Hires Former St. Catharine College Head Co...
- Bellarmine University Signs JUCO Transfer Al Davis...
- ▼ 05/31 - 06/07 (14)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)