Former Kentucky star Anthony Davis has signed a record-breaking, six-year contract extension with the New Orleans Pelicans.
While the Pelicans did not release terms of the deal, sources told ESPN.com that the five-year extension is estimated at nearly $145 million and will kick in starting with the 2016-17 season and run through Davis' 28th birthday.
That makes Davis' extension the richest contract in NBA history.
The team put out this release last week:
NEW ORLEANS – The New Orleans Pelicans today announced that at 12:01 p.m. local time in Hong Kong, China, All-Star forward Anthony Davis signed a contract extension with the club. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
“Words cannot describe the excitement of the New Orleans Pelicans to have Anthony Davis as the cornerstone of our organization,” said Pelicans General Manager Dell Demps. “Anthony is a great person, a phenomenal player and the ideal representative of his family, the Pelicans and the New Orleans community.
“We are thrilled to have Anthony commit to the Pelicans as we continue to build our team to have sustained success.”
Davis has appeared in 199 games over his first three seasons in the NBA, all with New Orleans, posting career averages of 19.7 points while shooting .525 from the field, 9.5 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 2.5 blocks per game. The 6-10 forward currently ranks fifth in New Orleans franchise history in defensive rebounds (1,346) total rebounds (1,891) and steals (264), third in points (3,917), points per game and field goal percentage, second in rebounding average (9.5) and first in blocks (501).
“I am very excited to continue to play for the Pelicans and remain a proud resident of the City of New Orleans,” stated Davis. “I want to thank Mr. and Mrs. Benson, Dell Demps, Coach Gentry, the entire Pelicans’ organization, my agent Thad Foucher, my family and, of course, all of the incredible fans for their unwavering support. I look forward to many great years together.”
Here is a Vine video of Davis inking the new deal:
- ► 2017 (96)
- ► 2016 (919)
07/12 - 07/19
- Happy Osborne Excited for 2015-16 Season at Kentuc...
- Kentucky Extends Offers to 2016 PG Dennis Smith Jr...
- Asbury University Reveals 2015-16 Men's Basketball...
- Terrence Commodore Named Director of Player Person...
- Rick Pitino Announces Puerto Rico's Roster for Pan...
- Kentucky Has Reportedly Reached Out to Memphis Tra...
- Murray State Getting Ready for Canada Exhibition T...
- Carson Williams Adds Offer from Ball State
- Anthony Davis Stars in Nike's New "Short A Guy" Co...
- Anthony Davis Signs Record-Breaking Contract Exten...
- Timmy Knipp Will Begin Professional Career in Germ...
- Aaron Harrison Earns 2-Year Deal with Charlotte
- ▼ 07/12 - 07/19 (12)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)