Former NBA star Steve Nash had high praise for Jamal Murray following Canada's win over the Dominican Republic last night at the Pan Am Games.
Nash even hinted that Murray has a legitimate chance to make Canada's Olympic qualifying roster in August.
Here are some excerpts:
The wave of Canadian basketball talent seems never-ending and Murray is the latest next big thing. In the space of a year he’s gone from an intriguing prospect to an almost certain lottery pick should he declare for the NBA draft in 2016 and now the 6-foot-5 point guard is pushing to make the national team roster for August’s Olympic qualifying event in Mexico City under the watchful eye of the best floor general Canada has ever had.
“I’m just starting to get to know him,” Nash said. “I’ve watched him quite a bit. He’s got a tremendous amount of ability. He’s got a very bright future. It’s very exciting for our program. But it’s also exciting for me as a point guard — to see a young player come through with that much ability is very fun and exciting.”
Nash went on to say this about Murray’s Olympic qualifying chances:
Can an 18-year-old work his way onto a 12-man team that is projected to be made up almost entirely of NBA players?
“I wouldn’t say it’s out of the question,” said Nash, who might have been Canada’s best player when he made his senior national team debut at the 1994 World Championships as a 20-year-old. “It all depends how it shakes out. I think Cory has been our point guard. But there are a lot of guys with an opportunity to take the backup spot. It’s going to be probably one of the most interesting positions at the end of the summer to see who wins that spot.”
Highlights of Murray vs. Dominican Republic:
- ► 2017 (43)
- ► 2016 (919)
07/19 - 07/26
- 2016 Recruit Miles Bridges Tells Funny Story About...
- Three Arkansas Players Arrested for Using Counterf...
- Ryan Harrow Signs Professional Contract in Greece
- Cuthbert Victor is Headed to Korea
- Jamal Murray Scores 20 in Win Over Argentina
- Rick Pitino Talks About Taking the Job with Puerto...
- Steve Nash Says Jamal Murray Has Chance to Make Ca...
- Texas Transfer Damarcus Croaker Granted Immediate ...
- Corbin High School's Andrew Taylor Earns First D1 ...
- Dinky Phipps Named Head Coach at Lynn Camp High Sc...
- Morehead State's Miguel Dicent Makes Pan Am Games ...
- Jamal Murray, Kyle Wiltjer Make Final Roster for C...
- Houston Rockets Close to Signing Chuck Hayes
- Western Kentucky Releases Conference USA Schedule
- EKU Colonels to Play in 2018 Paradise Jam in U.S. ...
- Apollo's Eli Wright Adds Offer from Connecticut, C...
- ▼ 07/19 - 07/26 (16)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)