Centre College went 1-1 at the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout over the weekend.
North Central 73 Centre College 59
MIAMI, Fla. (CentreColonels.com) – The Centre men's basketball team dropped a 73-59 decision to North Central (Ill.) in the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout at Florida Christian School in Miami, Fla. The Colonels saw their six-game winning streak snap with the loss, moving to 6-2 on the season. The Cardinals won their fourth straight contest to improve to 6-3 on the year.
Centre jumped out to a 9-4 advantage when senior forward Blake Scinta (Louisville, Ky.) knocked down a 3-pointer with 16:33 to play in the first half. The Cardinals then scored 23 unanswered points to take a 27-9 lead with 8:27 remaining in the opening period.
The Colonels responded with an 11-4 surge capped by a jumper by junior guard Matt Gump (Bellefontaine, Ohio) to shrink the North Central lead to 31-20 with 4:16 showing on the first half clock.
The Cardinals would build their lead back to 15 points at 40-25 at the half.
North Central then opened the second half on an 11-3 spurt to take its largest of the evening of 23 points at 51-28 with just under 16 minutes remaining in the game.
Centre used a 13-6 run fueled by five points by freshman guard Tucker Sine (Bowling Green, Ky.) to shrink the Cardinals' lead to 57-41 with 8:52 to play in the contest.
Sine knocked down another 3-pointer to cut the North Central lead to 14 points at 60-46 two minutes later. That is as close as the Colonels would come for the remainder of the game, as the Cardinals would hold on for the 73-59 win.
Centre College 73 Stevenson 53
MIAMI, Fla. (CentreColonels.com) – Senior forward Blake Scinta (Louisville, Ky.) notched his fifth double-double of the season and freshman guard Carson Ebert (Willard, Ohio) knocked down 6-of-9 shots from behind the arc to lead the Centre men's basketball team to a 73-53 victory over Stevenson in the Colonels' second game in the HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shootout at Florida Christian School in Miami, Fla.
Scinta tallied 23 points to go along with a career-high 15 rebounds to pace Centre, while Ebert finished with a career-best 18 markers for the Colonels.
Centre boosted its record to 7-2 on the year with the win, while the Mustangs fell to 3-7.
With the score knotted at 22-22 after a layup by Stevenson's Erik Fisher, the Colonels used an 11-0 run to take a 33-22 lead with 2:22 remaining in the first half. Ebert ignited the surge with a 3-pointer, while Scinta and freshman guard Tucker Sine (Bowling Green, Ky.) each added four points during the spurt.
Centre would take a 35-24 advantage into the break, before opening the second half with an 8-0 run fueled by back-to-back 3-pointers by freshman guard Jarod Griffin (Lexington, Ky.) and Ebert. Scinta capped the run with a pair of free throws to give the Colonels a 43-24 lead with 17:42 showing on the second half clock.
Stevenson answered with a 9-2 surge of its own to cut the Centre advantage to 12 points at 45-33 with 11:31 left in the game, but that is as close as the Mustangs would come for the remainder of the contest.
The Colonels responded with a 10-4 run fueled by four points by sophomore forward Zach Schmucker (Cincinnati, Ohio) to regain a 55-37 advantage with just under eight minutes showing on the clock.
Centre would build its lead to as many as 23 points at 71-48 when senior forward Tyler Wesley (Crestwood, Ky.) completed the old-fashioned 3-point play with 3:01 remaining in the game.
Scinta connected on 6-of-12 field goals including 1-of-3 from downtown. The Louisville native drained 10-of-12 free throws as well. His previous career-high rebounding effort was 13 rebounds set earlier this season in the Colonels' 61-46 triumph at Transylvania.
- ► 2016 (890)
12/20 - 12/27
- Tyler Ulis Named MVP of Louisville vs. Kentucky Ga...
- Kentucky Survives Louisville Comeback to Earn Riva...
- John Calipari Trolls Rick Pitino During Halftime I...
- Kentucky's Isaiah Briscoe is Out vs. Louisville
- Dick Vitale Picks His Winner of the Louisville vs....
- Rick Pitino Shares a Few Thoughts on Kentucky Game...
- Chris Harrison-Docks Suspended Indefinitely at Wes...
- John Wall Makes Christmas Happen for Family in Nee...
- Donnie Tyndall, Southern Miss to Meet with NCAA's ...
- Louisville Passes Kentucky in CBS Sports Rankings
- Rick Pitino On the UMKC Win and Honoring Billy Min...
- Louisville Destroys Missouri-Kansas City in Billy ...
- Terrence Jones Dunks On Frank Kaminsky
- University of Pikeville Blasts Carlow
- John Calipari Talks About Moving Forward, Says It'...
- Campbellsville's Dii'jon Allen-Jordan Named Mid-So...
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town and the College Bask...
- Centre College Goes 1-1 at HoopMIA D3 Holiday Shoo...
- Berea College Splits Games at Black Tie Classic in...
- John Calipari Talks About Losing to Ohio State, Wh...
- ▼ 12/20 - 12/27 (20)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)