Georgetown College 79
University of the Cumberlands 69
Final from Frankfort, Kentucky
Game recap by MSC:
FRANKFORT, Ky. – Top-seeded Georgetown (Ky.) held off a late rally against third-seeded Cumberlands (Ky.) to come away with a 79-69 victory in the finals of the Mid-South Conference Championships, presented by Johnny Charino's.
Deondre McWhorter led all scorers in the game with 21 points for the Tigers (28-3), while he capped off his double-double with 18 rebounds in the game. Tony Kimbro chipped in with 20 points and Tony Steward had 14 points off the bench for the Georgetown. The Patriots (22-11) had four different players reach double figures as Temaje Singleton led Cumberlands with 17 points. D'Lando Carter led the Patriots bench with 14 points.
After the game went back-and-forth at the start of the game, Cumberlands led 10-9 with 14:08 left in half, but Georgetown countered with a 8-0 run to take a 17-10 lead with 12:23 left in the half.
The Tigers slowly extended their lead to 10 points as they went up 30-20 at the 6:25 mark in the half. The Patriots tried to cut into their deficit as they went on a 7-2 run to pull within five points, but Georgetown was able take a 41-34 lead into the half after Cumberlands hit a shot just before the buzzer.
The Patriots clawed their way back into the game as they tied the game, 48-48, with 14:46 left in the game. After Cumberlands looked to take their first lead of the second half, the Tigers stole the ball and grabbed the lead right back with 14:12 to play.
The basket from Georgetown to regain their lead, sparked an 8-0 run for the Tigers as they stretched their lead to 56-48, before the Patriots put an end to the run at the 11:34 mark in the half.
Cumberlands slowly worked their way back into game as they held Georgetown without for nearly six minutes and the Patriots made it a 59-58 game with 6:26 left in regulation. The Patriots tied the game once again with just over five minutes left on the clock.
Georgetown knocked down their first shoot in nearly nine minutes of action as they hit a basket with 3:59 to play in the half. Down the stretch, the Tigers extended their lead to 76-65 with 1:15 to play in the game. Cumberlands tried to make one more comeback attempt but Georgetown was able to come away with a 79-69 victory.
The Tigers captured their ninth Mid-South Conference Tournament Championship with the victory.
Georgetown secured the conference's automatic bid into the NAIA National Championships with the victory on Sunday. The bracket for the NAIA Division I Men's Basketball National Tournament is set to be released on Wednesday, March 9.
Thursday, March 3 (All times ET)
9) St. Catharine (Ky.) def. 8) Cumberland (Tenn.) - 69-63
Friday, March 4
7) Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) def. 2) Pikeville (Ky.) - 72-71
3) Cumberlands (Ky.) def. 6) Life (Ga.) - 90-79 (2OT)
1) Georgetown (Ky.) def. 9) St. Catharine (Ky.) - 78-62
4) Campbellsville (Ky.) def. 5) Shawnee State (Ohio) - 74-70
Saturday, March 5
1) Georgetown (Ky.) def. 4) Campbellsville (Ky.) - 78-73
3) Cumberlands (Ky.) def. 7) Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) - 56-55
Sunday, March 6
1) Georgetown (Ky.) def. 3) Cumberlands (Ky.) - 79-69
- ► 2017 (96)
03/06 - 03/13
- DeMarcus Cousins Suspended One Game for Screaming ...
- Billy Gillispie Mentioned as Candidate at UTSA
- Darnell Williams Steps Down at Kentucky State Univ...
- John Calipari Says Tyler Ulis Will Be Drafted This...
- EKU Gives Statement on Michael Bradley's Dismissal...
- ESPN Tracks Down Andre McGee in an Uber
- Kentucky Will Face Alabama in SEC Tournament Quart...
- Southeast Missouri State Role Player Plans to Decl...
- Scott Hundley Steps Down as Head Coach at Woodford...
- NCAA Will Interview Rick Pitino About Scandal in A...
- WKU Advances to Quarterfinals of Conference USA To...
- Louisville Mentioned in SI Report Linking Foreign ...
- Referee Pat Adams Will Be Working the SEC Tourname...
- UK's Tyler Ulis Named First Team All-America by Sp...
- John Calipari Defends Bruiser Flint, Says Damion L...
- The Field is Set for the 2016 Whitaker Bank/KHSAA ...
- The Audio of Pat Adams Ejecting a Radio Guy is Alm...
- "Fresh Information" in Katina Powell's Story About...
- Tyler Ulis Named SEC Player and Defensive Player o...
- Charles Barkley Thinks Ben Simmons Should Stay in ...
- Pat Adams and Doug Sirmons Ejected Green Bay's Rad...
- Louisville's Damion Lee Puts Out a Rap Song
- Field Set for 2016 SEC Tournament, Kentucky Earns ...
- Sean Woods Says Morehead State Will Have Opportuni...
- Michigan State's Denzel Valentine Guarantees a Nat...
- Miami Heat Mascot Stunt Doesn't Go As Planned
- Katina Powell to Meet with the NCAA Again
- USA Today Names Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray All-Am...
- UT Martin Suspends Myles Taylor for Postgame Incid...
- Indiana Cuts Down the Nets in the Big Ten
- Georgetown College Wins 2016 Mid-South Conference ...
- Bellarmine, Kentucky Wesleyan Earn Spots in 2016 N...
- Brad Calipari Commits to Kentucky
- ▼ 03/06 - 03/13 (33)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)