Lincoln Memorial's Josh Schertz was named Clarence "Big House" Gaines Division II National Coach of the Year over the weekend.
Schertz led LMU to a 34-3 record and an appearance in the DII national championship game.
Here is a release from CollegeInsider.com:
HOUSTON, TX -- Lincoln Memorial's Josh Schertz is the recipient of the 2016 Clarence Gaines division II National Coach of the Year.
Schertz led the Railsplitters to a 34-3 record and the first NCAA Division II National Championship game appearance in program history, breaking the league and school record for wins and becoming the first program in SAC history to go undefeated in conference play with a 22-0 mark.
One of the true legends of all-time, Gaines retired from Winston-Salem State University in 1993 with a record of 828-446. At the time he was the winningest active basketball coach in NCAA history. Gaines was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1982.
During his 47-year tenure as coach and athletic director at WSSU he coached professional basketball greats Cleo Hill (first African-American from an historically Black college and university to be drafted No. 1 by the National Basketball Association, St. Louis Hawks, 1961) and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe.
2106 CLARENCE GAINES AWARD FINALISTS
Ken Amman Concordia (California)
Tobin Anderson St. Thomas Aquinas
Justin Barkley, Rogers State Rogers State
Randy Baruth Saginaw Valley State
Tom Billeter Augustana
Lonnie Blow, Jr. Virginia State
Michael Cooney West Geogia
Jim Crutchfield West Liberty
Keith Dickson Saint Anselm
Mick Durham Alaska-Fairbanks
John Ellenwood Ashland
Blake Flickner Dallas Baptist
Donte Jackson Stillman
Jamahl Jackson Emmanuel
Steve Kinder Humboldt State
Ben McCollum Northwest Missouri State
Bob Pietrack Fort Lewis
George Pitts King University
Luke Reigel Wisconsin-Parkside
Steve Roberts Lander
Tom Ryan Eckerd
Danny Sancomb Wheeling Jesuit
Josh Schertz Lincoln Memorial
Jim Shaw Western Oregon
Chad Walthall Minnesota State-Moorhead
- ► 2017 (130)
04/03 - 04/10
- Ray Harper Officially Introduced as New Head Coach...
- Donnie Tyndall Plans to Appeal NCAA Decision, Take...
- DeMarcus Cousins Surprises Customers by Paying for...
- Kentucky Christian University Adds 4 Players for 2...
- Bellarmine University Will Hold 6 Different Basket...
- Dale Brown is the New Head Coach at Eminence High ...
- Former Manual Star Dwayne Sutton Will Transfer to ...
- Western Kentucky Will Play Washington in December
- The NCAA Hammers Donnie Tyndall with 10-Year Show-...
- Clay County's Blake Smith Commits to Alice Lloyd C...
- Paul Jackson and Greg King Are Transferring from E...
- John Pelphrey Lands a New Job at Alabama
- DeMarcus Cousins Earns 17th Technical Foul of the ...
- Asbury University Adds Four Players for 2016-17
- Kentucky's Tyler Ulis Declares for NBA Draft
- Louisville Imposes More Penalties on Men's Basketb...
- WKU Announces That Three Suspended Players Are No ...
- UK's Skal Labissiere Will Enter NBA Draft, Sign wi...
- Ricardo Johnson Will Join Xavier Staff as a Gradua...
- Tennessee Tech Has a New 3-D Court
- Roster Released for 2016 Derby Festival Classic Ga...
- LMU's Josh Schertz Named Clarence Gaines National ...
- Someone Punched the North Carolina Mascot After La...
- Charles Barkley Really Liked Villanova's Game-Winn...
- Villanova Stuns North Carolina at the Buzzer in Na...
- Jacksonville State Close to Hiring Ray Harper
- Butler's Jackson Davis Will Transfer to EKU
- Georgetown College's Chris Briggs Was a Finalist f...
- Valpo's Bryce Drew Will Likely Replace Kevin Stall...
- Brandon Knight Will Miss Rest of NBA Season, Surge...
- Aaron Harrison Recalled by the Charlotte Hornets
- ▼ 04/03 - 04/10 (31)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)