Union College is picked to win the Appalachian Athletic Conference in 2016-17.
Here's a release from the AAC:
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Union College is the favorite to win the 2016-17 Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC) men's basketball championship, according to the coaches' poll released Monday.
Union shared the 2015-16 regular-season championship with Tennessee Wesleyan University as both went 16-2 in league play. Union went on to win the AAC Tournament for the third year in a row. In fact, Union has won or shared both the AAC regular-season and tournament championships for the last three seasons.
Both Union (28-7 overall in 2015-16) and Tennessee Wesleyan (28-4 overall in 2015-16) advanced to the NAIA Division II National Championship Tournament and ended the year ranked No. 11 and 19, respectively.
Receiving six first-place votes, Union claimed the top spot with 114 points. Bluefield College, which advanced to the AAC Tournament title game, collected two first-place votes and 104 points to land second. Tennessee Wesleyan picked up two first-place votes and check in third overall with 100 points.
Reinhardt University (81 points) and Bryan College (65 points) round out the top five. Newcomer Allen University received the remaining first-place vote as it ended up in a tie for sixth with Milligan College as both picked up 59 points.
Making up the rest of the field are: Truett McConnell University (43 points), Point University (41 points), St. Andrews University (37 points) and Montreat College (23 points).
The 2017 AAC Tournament is set for Feb. 22-25 at the MeadowView Marriott Conference Resort & Convention Center in Kingsport, Tenn.
2016 AAC Men's Basketball Coaches' Poll
School (1st Place Votes) Total Votes
Union (6) 114
Bluefield (2) 104
Tennessee Wesleyan 100
Allen (1) 59
Truett McConnell 43
St. Andrews 37
- ► 2017 (56)
10/16 - 10/23
- USA Today Says Rick Pitino Should Be Held Accounta...
- Nine Cordia Transfer Players Questioned by Social ...
- NCAA Gives Louisville Notice of Allegations; Inclu...
- Louisville's Deng Adel on Preseason Watch List for...
- Field Set for 2016 Ashland Invitational Tournament...
- 4-Star Small Forward Jordan Nwora Commits to Louis...
- Kentucky Picked to Win Southeastern Conference, Fo...
- Kentucky's Malik Monk Named to Watch List for Jerr...
- Union College Picked to Win Appalachian Athletic C...
- Louisville Will Reportedly Receive NCAA's Notice o...
- University of Pikeville Blast-Off Scheduled for To...
- Kentucky is No. 2 in Dick Vitale's Preseason Ranki...
- ▼ 10/16 - 10/23 (12)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)