Former University of Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie has announced that he is retiring from coaching due to health concerns.
Gillispie told the Dallas Morning News of his decision:
"No one's ever enjoyed coaching more than I have, I promise, and no one's ever been luckier in the coaching profession than I have," Gillispie said. "What a wonderful career!
"I've been very sick with blood pressure issues since the summer, but I've tried to fight it out. I got a report Monday that told me if I didn't address this blood pressure situation immediately, irreversible, bad things were very likely to happen here relatively soon and my long-term health could be compromised.
"Timing isn't great, but I've decided to do what I was told and try to return to healthy ASAP.
"I've had a wonderful career and in the last two years some of the best days I've ever experienced as a coach. I hate leaving this team because they are really coming around, but they understood me being sick. That's the worst part of it, not coaching."
- ► 2017 (133)
12/04 - 12/11
- UK Students Don't Recognize Rex Chapman While Talk...
- Mason Blair and Timmy Dalton Combined for 92 Point...
- The Kentucky Wildcats are Hanging in the Fayette M...
- Former Louisville Player Ellis Myles Talks About 2...
- Berea College Ranked No. 12 in USCAA Coaches Poll
- Asbury University Breaks Program Scoring Mark in W...
- Billy Gillispie is Retiring from Coaching
- Bowling Green Tops Bluegrasspreps High School Top ...
- Johnson Central's Mason Blair Commits to the Unive...
- Bellarmine University Up to No. 6/7 in the Nationa...
- ▼ 12/04 - 12/11 (10)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)