That headline sounds like the ridiculous premise to a joke but that actually happened in Danville earlier this week.
Two suspects somehow managed to call 9-1-1 before discussing their plans to rob a local restaurant. If that wasn't bad enough, basketball referee Tony Gray (who happens to be the Danville Police Chief) was eating inside at the time.
Here's what happened from the Advocate Messenger:
The officer eventually made his way over to Danville Police Chief Tony Gray, who had just finished up dinner.
“They start to walk out together, then Tony gets a call — I see Tony’s police face come on, so I knew something was up,” Southerland said.
Gray said he was notified dispatch received a call and could hear people talking about committing a robbery, but the location was uncertain at that time.
“There was some conversation about when they should do it, they might be recognized if they do it in Danville, and I think they did talk about some different locations …” Gray said, noting that he hasn’t heard the actual tape yet. “Somewhere in the conversation my name was brought up.”
Soon after, dispatch was able to “triangulate the call,” Gray says, and figure out the phone call was coming from the general vicinity of South Fourth Street.
So the officer came by, knowing Gray was eating dinner there, and asked if he may have accidentally dialed 911 and was talking about a case to someone, since there was talk of robbery and they heard Gray’s name mentioned.
“When we stepped out back to talk, the dispatcher was able to pinpoint the phone, and the call was coming from somewhere in the parking lot at Brothers. At that time, they located the two suspects sitting in the vehicle,” Gray said.
Monday, December 12, 2016
- ► 2017 (133)
12/11 - 12/18
- Rick Pitino Previews EKU Game, Gives Thoughts on W...
- Kelly Wells Becomes All-Time Wins Leader at Univer...
- 2016 Kentucky Bank Challenge Tips Off Today in Row...
- Bart Williams Off to a Winning Start at Bath Count...
- Bowling Green Assistant Coach Arrested for Sexual ...
- Berea College Wins With No. 1 Play in SportsCenter...
- Vanderbilt Announces that Camron Justice is Transf...
- Bracket Announced for Lake Cumberland Holiday Hoop...
- Suspects Butt Dial 9-1-1, Discuss Robbery Plans of...
- Cumberland's Marquis Yates Named Mid-South Confere...
- ▼ 12/11 - 12/18 (10)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)