Anderson University 87
Transylvania University 84
Final from Lexington, Kentucky
Game recap by TU:
Lexington, Ky. – The Transylvania men's basketball team had its 11-game winning streak halted by the Anderson University Ravens in an 87-84 final minute defeat on Saturday afternoon at the Beck Center.
Transylvania's bargain for redemption against an Anderson team which had handed it an earlier season loss on the road was thwarted as the Ravens picked up the dramatic win to improve to 10-2 in Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference play. The Pioneers, who entered the game looking to draw even with the Ravens in conference play, fell to 8-4 in conference competition with six games to go in the regular season.
Sophomore point guard Cooper Theobald led all players in scoring with 26 points, draining 11-of-16 shots from the floor while knocking down 4-of-5 free throws. The Pioneers and Ravens wasted little at the charity stripe on Saturday afternoon; as a team, Transylvania shot 22-for-23 from the foul line, while Anderson connected on all of 21 of its free throws.
The Pioneers jumped out to a 13-point lead in the first six minutes of the game, but the quick start proved unsustainable against Anderson, who played the Pioneers close for virtually the rest of the game. Anderson drew a six-point lead late in the first half before the Pioneers went on a 6-0 run, capped off by a jumper from sophomore Bo Schuh to even the game at 35-all. Anderson scored on a three-point play prior to halftime to take a 38-37 lead to the half.
Theobald took over in the second half for Transylvania, hitting 8-of-10 field goals to score 19 points in the final period. The Pioneers also received 11 second-half points from Kyle Gullett along with three blocks to lead the attack.
As of now, Transy is in contention for a top 4 seed in the HCAC tournament.
Current HCAC Standings:
HANOVER 10-2 15-3
MOUNT ST. JOSEPH 10-2 15-4
ANDERSON 10-2 13-6
TRANSYLVANIA 8-4 13-6
ROSE-HULMAN 7-5 9-10
MANCHESTER 4-8 6-13
BLUFFTON 3-8 10-8
FRANKLIN 3-8 6-12
DEFIANCE 3-9 4-15
EARLHAM 1-11 5-14
01/29 - 02/05
- Rick Pitino Previews Boston College and Virginia
- Bracket Set for 100th KHSAA Boys' Sweet Sixteen To...
- Rick Pitino Says Quentin Snider's Return "Not in t...
- No. 8 Berea College Takes Care of Warren Wilson
- Centre Blows by Millsaps to Keep Top Spot in SAA
- Spalding University's Tough Season Continues in Io...
- Thomas More Knocks Off Chatham to Hold Onto Second...
- Pitino Praises David Levitch, Team Passing After L...
- Anderson University Ends Transylvania's 11-Game Wi...
- Rick Pitino Says Tony Hicks May Only Miss 2-4 Week...
- Louisville's Rick Pitino Previews Today's Game Aga...
- University of the Cumberlands Dismantles No. 2 Geo...
- ▼ 01/29 - 02/05 (12)
- ► 2016 (919)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)