Spalding University 72
MacMurray College 64
Final from Louisville, Kentucky
Game recap by SU:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The Spalding University men's basketball team won its final contest of the season Saturday against conference opponent MacMurray College, 72-64. The win improved their season record to 6-20 on the season, and 5-13 in SLIAC play.
On Senior Day, SU's two seniors shined. James Turner led the Eagles in scoring with 24, to go along with seven rebounds and four steals. Turner finished his stellar career at Spalding with 989 points. Senior Nick Trisko also contributed 19 points and 10 rebounds, notching his 19th double-double of the season. Trisko finished the season as the conference leader in both offensive rebounds, total rebounds and rebounds per game.
The Golden Eagles jumped out to a quick 10-4 lead to open the game, and stretched that lead to 17-9 with 10:51 to play in the first half. An offensive rebound and put back by Trisko with 3:46 left in the first half pushed the lead for Spalding to 10, but the score heading into the locker rooms at halftime was 36-27.
MacMurray cut the lead to five early in the second half before an 11-4 run by Spalding made it a 47-35 ball game with 15:37 left in the game. MacMurray mounted a comeback tying the game, 53-53, after Conner Vincent scored 12 of their 18 points during the run. The Highlanders connected on a three-point field goal with 6:52 remaining to take a 56-53 lead, but Spalding bounced right back and closed the game on a 19-8 run to seal the victory, sending the seniors off with a victory.
The win concludes the Golden Eagles men's basketball season. For the latest updates on SU men's basketball follow Spalding Athletics on Twitter at @SU_GoldenEagles and visit SpaldingAthletics.com.
Final SLIAC Standings (Only Top 4 Qualify for Conference Tournament):
SCHOOL CONF OVERALL
Greenville 14-4 20-5
Iowa Wesleyan 13-5 17-8
Westminster (Mo.) 13-5 17-8
Webster 11-7 14-11
Principia 11-7 12-11
Blackburn 9-9 12-13
Eureka 7-11 13-12
Spalding 5-13 6-20
MacMurray 4-14 5-20
Fontbonne 3-15 3-22
SLIAC Conference Tournament Schedule:
Friday, February 24
Game 1 - #2 Westmisnter vs. #3 Webster, 6 p.m.
Game 2 - #1 Greenville vs. #4 Principia, 8 p.m.
Saturday, February 25
Championship Game - Winner of Game 1 vs. Winner of Game 2, 7 p.m.
02/19 - 02/26
- Centre College Gets Past Berry to Advance to SAA S...
- OVC Tournament Tiebreaker Scenarios Heading Into S...
- Cameron Payne Has Been Traded to Chicago
- Thomas More Advances to PAC Tournament Semifinals
- It's Tournament Time in Kentucky: Schedule for the...
- Midway University Goes 2-25 in Inaugural Men's Bas...
- Brescia, Asbury Preparing for River States Confere...
- Berea College Earns 3-Seed in USCAA D1 National To...
- Transylvania Falls at Manchester, Shifts Focus to ...
- Thomas More Earns Share of PAC Regular Season Titl...
- Disappointing Season Ends on Positive Note for Spa...
- Late Season Slide Leaves Centre College as 2-Seed ...
- Berea College Knocks Off Midway, Waits for USCAA S...
- ▼ 02/19 - 02/26 (13)
- ► 2016 (919)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)