Manchester University 93
Transylvania University 66
Final from North Manchester, Indiana
Game recap by TU:
North Manchester, Ind. – The Transylvania men's basketball team was outpaced 93-66 by the Manchester University Spartans in its 2016-17 regular season finale Saturday at Stauffer-Wolfe Arena.
Despite the Saturday setback for the Pioneers, Transylvania remains firmly entrenched in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Tournament picture.
The Pioneers completed their season with an overall record of 16-9, and 11-7 in HCAC play, slotting them fifth in the conference standings, one game back of No. 4 seed Rose-Hulman. The Pioneers will face Rose-Hulman in next Friday's HCAC Tournament first-round matchup in Hanover, Indiana.
Manchester picked up the final seed in the tournament and christened their entry into the tournament with a triumphant Senior Day win against the Pioneers at home. The Spartans jumped out to a 15-6 start and for the most part never looked back against the Pioneers. Transylvania whittled away at the lead numerous times the rest of the half, but another late run by the Spartans inside the two-minute mark crafted a 43-35 halftime advantage.
Manchester continued the attack in the second half, outscoring Transylvania 50 to 31 as its offense was in high gear. Transylvania was held to 8-for-23 shooting from the field in the second half, and missed 14 of 27 free throws in the second half which stood as a barrier to a comeback.
The Pioneers were led in scoring on the afternoon by sophomore guard Cooper Theobald who registered 16 points to go with six rebounds, one assist, and one block. The Pioneers received 26 points off the bench, led by freshman reserve forward Zachary Pulliam with nine points.
Senior guard Alex Jones added 10 points, and now sits 27 points away from becoming the 17th Pioneer in school history to score 1,500 points.
With the regular season campaign wrapped up, the Pioneers will now focus their attention to the HCAC Tournament, which begins next Friday.
The trek begins with a matchup against Rose-Hulman, with whom the Pioneers split the season series, each team winning at the other's gym. The third meeting of the season between the Fightin' Engineers and Pioneers will occur at a neutral site on the campus of No. 1 seed and host Hanover College.
The three-day tournament culminates in a Sunday 2:00 p.m. championship game as the Pioneers aim to clinch their first NCAA Tournament bid since 2013.
For more on Transylvania men's basketball, follow @TransySports on Twitter.
HCAC Conference Tournament Schedule:
Opening Round- Friday, Feb. 24 (at Hanover)
No. 5 Transylvania vs. No. 4 Rose-Hulman, 6 p.m.
No. 6 Manchester vs. No. 3 Anderson, 8 p.m.
Semifinals - Saturday, Feb. 25 (at Hanover)
No. 1 Hanover vs. No. 4/5 Winner, 5 p.m.
No. 2 Mount St. Joseph vs. No. 3/6 Winner, 7 p.m.
Championship- Sunday, Feb. 26 (at Hanover)
Schedule subject to change
* Tournament champion is the HCAC's automatic qualifier in the 2016 NCAADIII Championship Tournament.
02/19 - 02/26
- Centre College Gets Past Berry to Advance to SAA S...
- OVC Tournament Tiebreaker Scenarios Heading Into S...
- Cameron Payne Has Been Traded to Chicago
- Thomas More Advances to PAC Tournament Semifinals
- It's Tournament Time in Kentucky: Schedule for the...
- Midway University Goes 2-25 in Inaugural Men's Bas...
- Brescia, Asbury Preparing for River States Confere...
- Berea College Earns 3-Seed in USCAA D1 National To...
- Transylvania Falls at Manchester, Shifts Focus to ...
- Thomas More Earns Share of PAC Regular Season Titl...
- Disappointing Season Ends on Positive Note for Spa...
- Late Season Slide Leaves Centre College as 2-Seed ...
- Berea College Knocks Off Midway, Waits for USCAA S...
- ▼ 02/19 - 02/26 (13)
- ► 2016 (919)
- ► 2015 (1684)
- ► 2014 (1843)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
- ► 2009 (2417)