I represented AllKYHoops.com at Rupp Arena last night and offered live coverage from the game. Here are a few notes I made and some quotes that were made during the post-game coverage:
- The Cats are loaded with talent, but they obviously looked like a team that has only been practicing seriously for only 12 days
- On offense, UK had some spacing issues that limited driving lanes and really hampered the DDM offense; Calipari stated several times after the game that he is having trouble getting the wings to go wide and create spacing and gaps
- Kudos to Mark Krebs and Perry Stevenson; they came in and demonstrated senior leadership by doing what they were supposed to do
- I am impressed and frankly a little surprised at the offensive arsenal of Darnell Dodson; he was relatively unknown coming from Miami Dade, but he has the total offensive package and all the moves to score the ball; he is still taking a few forced shots and bad looks, but he is a key to the season
- Kentucky was 3-12 from the 3-point line; this will be a concern until they start shooting a little more consistently
- Eric Bledsoe is a very talented player; he is quick, explosive and powerful; he was definitely the best guard on the floor last night
- DeMarcus Cousins is a force in the paint - on both ends; he has the potential to be an all-SEC big man; he is like the player that will carry an injured puppy across the street off the court, but knock three of your teeth out with an elbow on the court
- Keep in mind that UK played without John Wall, who is arguably the most talented freshman in the country
- Patrick Patterson appears much quicker and more explosive this season
- Hood is going to be a fan-favorite; you can hear a little buzz in the crowd every time he does something positive
- DeAndre Liggins was the only Wildcat that did not play; Calipari didn't directly answer the question as to why, but he alluded to Liggins' play in practice
- The Tigers are going to be a really good Mid-South team; they were overwhelmed by Kentucky's size and length, but they are not a bad team
- Campbellsville had a bunch of open shots that they just didn't knock down; they shot 12% in the first half and 21.1 % for the game; if they knock some of those open looks down, UK fans would be in meltdown mode this morning
- Nestor Colmenares is a much better player than he showed against UK; the rest of the NAIA should dread seeing Colmenares this season
- Shawn Savage stood out as a nice 3-point shooter; I jotted in my notes that there is a reason he wears the #3
- Colmenares, Jordan Benock and Leon Hart were a combined 2-22 from the field which is directly attributed to UK's size in the paint
- The Tigers picked up 14 offensive rebounds in the game; their guards out-hustled UK's guards on long rebounds
Post-Game Press Conference Quotables:
Keith Adkins, Campbellsville head coach:
On the overall game:
"...really just never able to get any momentum."
On Nestor Colmenares:
"Nestor Colmenares is an absolute beast at our level."
"We keep them in the mid-30's at halftime. I'll take that."
On his team:
"I was proud of our effort."
On Eric Bledsoe:
"He is extremely fast, extremely physical...strong."
John Calipari, Kentucky head coach:
On the overall game:
"If they had 58 possessions, we guarded about 10 of them the way we wanted. We had a problem with the other 48."
"We're twelve days in and we're just not ready."
On Perry Stevenson:
"I was really happy for Perry Stevenson."
On Eric Bledsoe:
"He played ok...probably played him to many minutes."
On Patrick Patterson:
"Patrick's got to take more shots."
On Patterson being named preseason All-America:
"That's terrific. What a great kid."
"What a great teammate this guy is."
On his first game at Rupp Arena:
"You know, it was neat to walk into an exhibition game and look up in the rafters, and it's packed. I was, like, stunned."
"Then I look up with six minutes to go, and we have 53 points. A running, pressing team!"
On knowing when the DDM is working:
"When we average about 16-17 assists and 12 turnovers."
A joke to Jerry Tipton:
"What did I say Jerry, your article would be 'dribble-drive this?'"
Listen to Calipari's Entire Postgame Press Conference (via John Clay)
A Couple of Things that I Consider "Cool":
- I bumped into UK Director of Athletics Mitch Barnhart at halftime; I wasn't sure what to expect, but he said, "How are you doing?"; My first impression of Mr. Barnhart was a very good one
- I listened in on a great basketball conversation between Kenny "Sky" Walker, former UK coach Joe B. Hall and a couple of other guys in the media room. Does it get any better than that?
- Kentucky's pregame intro's are very nice this season
- I rode in the media elevator with "Scratch" the UK mascot; if you have always wondered if that's a boy or girl in the suit, I have the answer - it's a man baaaby!
- I met the great Alan Cutler after the game; My first impression of Cutler is that he is a very nice guy
- I met Matt May of The Cat's Pause before the game
- Tony Delk and Scott Padgett enjoying a laugh as they headed back out to the court following the halftime break
- John Wall cheering intently for his teammates; my impression of Wall - great kid and he REALLY wants to be on the court soon
- I met Campbellsville head coach Keith Adkins after the game; he was very nice and I look forward to covering the Tigers as the season progresses
- ► 2014 (472)
- ► 2013 (2343)
- ► 2012 (3128)
- ► 2011 (4626)
- ► 2010 (3990)
11/01 - 11/08
- Tobias Harris Journal: The West Virginia/Louisvill...
- Ex-Cat Jodie Meeks has Breakout Game for Bucks
- Campbellsville Wins Two at Lindsey Wilson Classic
- Georgetown College Fights but Falls to Mississippi...
- Recap of Joe B. Hall & Denny Crum Classic
- Recap of 14th Annual Zweifel/Pritchett Classic at ...
- Brandon "Snap" Peters to Visit Western Kentucky
- Western Kentucky Recruit Kene Anyigbo Visiting Ho...
- John Wall: "He's in another league"
- Kentucky Recruit C.J. Leslie May Wait Until Spring...
- Kentucky vs. Clarion: Pictures from Rupp Arena
- Tobias Harris Update: Having Fun in West Virginia
- Clarion Visits the Woodshed in Loss to Kentucky
- Kentucky vs. Clarion: Live Coverage
- Preview: Clarion Set to Visit Rupp Arena Tonight
- Weekend Preview: Basketball Begins in Kentucky
- Kentucky vs. Clarion: TV, Radio and Online Schedul...
- Ex-Cat Chuck Hayes Proves That Size Doesn't Matter...
- C.J. Leslie Cancels Florida Visit
- Eric Bledsoe is a "Game Time" Decision for Kentuck...
- Tobias Harris Journal: Heading to Morgantown
- Kentucky Recruit Doron Lamb Leads Oak Hill Academy...
- Former UK Recruit Dakotah Euton Commits to Akron
- Murray State Dismantles Bethel in Exhibition
- South Carolina Pulls Away from Kentucky Wesleyan
- Shagari Alleyne Drafted by Albuquerque in NBDL Dra...
- "New" Calipari Hopes to Create New and Improved Ca...
- More Charges Against Derrick Miller and Ed Davende...
- Ballard's Keiston Jones Commits to Bellarmine
- Kentucky Wesleyan to Battle Gamecocks Tonight
- Eric Bledsoe Will Likely Miss Clarion Game
- Louisville Players Dismiss Off-Court Distractions
- UKCoachCalipari Named to List of Top Sports "Tweet...
- Kentucky Ties to NBDL Draft Tonight
- Bittersweet NBA News for Kentucky Wildcat Fans
- Joe Crawford Will Return to L.A. D-fenders of the ...
- Ex-Cat Gerald Fitch Named MVP for October in Spain...
- Tobias Harris Journal: 15 Days and Counting
- Louisville Impressive in Win Over Bellarmine
- Media Day at Western Kentucky
- Mid-Continent Opens Season with a Bang
- KCU Slides Past ALC in Great Game
- Morehead State Easily Defeats Cedarville in Exhibi...
- Legendary Coach Bill Mike Runyon Declares Candidac...
- AllKYHoops All Access: Tobias Harris Recruiting Jo...
- Upset Alert? Previewing Bellarmine vs. Louisville
- St. Catharine Opens Season at Home Tonight
- Update on Western Kentucky Recruit Kene Anyigbo
- NW Ohio Defeats Brescia in Close Game
- SEC Preseason Awards are Announced
- Northern Kentucky Preparing for Xavier
- Update on 2010 Kentucky Recruit Jelan Kendrick
- Ex-Wildcat Allen Edwards Discusses Towson Basketba...
- Austin Rivers: "I just don't want to go to Kentuck...
- 2010 Star Tobias Harris Enjoys Louisville Visit
- Breaking: Brandan Kearney to Michigan State
- UK/Campbellsville Quotes, Analysis and More
- UK Gets Lesson in DDM 101 Against Campbellsville
- Kentucky vs. Campbellsville - Postgame Pictures
- Kentucky vs. Campbellsville - Pictures
- Cumberlands Defeats Indiana University Southeast
- Dillard Gives Arkansas a Battle in Exhibition
- Campbellsville vs. Kentucky - Live Coverage
- Doron Lamb Will Visit Connecticut in November
- Previewing Campbellsville vs. Kentucky
- Ex-Cats Brown/Pelphrey Will Match Coaching Wits To...
- Cumberlands Opens With Tough Opponent Tonight
- Jeff Goodman On Kenneth Faried and Shelvin Mack
- Patrick Patterson Voted Preseason AP All-America
- Will the Bucks Utilize Jodie Meeks After Losing Re...
- Kentucky Wesleyan Finishes 2-1 in California
- Billy Gillispie, How Do You Plead? "Guilty"
- Ex-Cat Rajon Rondo Works Out Deal With Boston
- Kentucky Showing "Heavy Interest" in Chris Hill?
- Ex-Pikeville Bear Haakim Johnson Drafted First in ...
- Yours Truly Manning the Grill at Shoney's Restaura...
- Morehead State's First Annual Head Hysteria is a S...
- 2010 Western Kentucky Recruit Brandon "Snap" Peter...
- Jeff Goodman Picks UK as One of his Elite Eight
- Field Announced for Citizens First Holiday Classic...
- Brandon Knight's Father: "It was a great visit" to...
- Alice Lloyd Wins Shootout Over Hiwassee
- Now Comes the Hard Part for Calipari: Winning the ...
- Rajon Rondo and Celtics Still Working on Deal
- Goodman Picks Kenneth Faried as OVC Player of the ...
- Billy Gillispie to Appear in Kentucky Court Monday...
- ▼ 11/01 - 11/08 (86)